Today is the first day of a monthly feature that I will be doing to give you updates on how I am doing physically, mentally, etc. and in which you can link up a post about some form of progress you are making, if you wish (see details below). I think it will be a lot of fun, and I know being publicly accountable will help me out tremendously.
Here is what I wish to accomplish this year:
- Lose 50 to 80 lbs. I think the 50 lbs. is do-able, even if I lose as little as 1 lb. a week. That would get me to a weight that is still heavier than I want to be, but one I will be ok with if I don't lose any more. The 80 lbs. lost mark is where I ideally want to be, though, and will shoot for if at all possible. I plan on breaking this goal down into 10 lbs. increments and celebrating each of those milestones as I reach them, no matter how much is lost overall.
- Focus on portion control. I am not a dieter. I can't follow diets. I have to make lifestyle changes or I simply cannot follow the rules. I guess it's a case of wanting what I can't have or something. I don't know why if I call it a lifestyle change it works, but when I call it a diet it doesn't. Either way, I know that I can do a fad diet or weight loss program and stick to it. I can, however, focus on portion control.
- Focus on eating real, natural food as much as possible, limiting (and eventually eliminating) processed foods. I find that I cannot handle processed foods, especially foods with soy and high fructose corn syrup in them. They make me sick, literally. It is my goal this year to get back to eating more naturally. This doesn't mean no dessert or no eating out, but it does mean better choices.
- Get active! I don't have the money to join a gym, and I'm only marginally good about exercising via an exercise program at home, so I'm not going to say I'm going to do any of those things. I will, however, commit doing the things that I can: taking a walk when it is nice, playing Wii Fit with the kiddos, making it a point to park a little further away from the store so that I can walk a bit further, making a point to take the stairs, play a little more with the kids, do some more physically challenging chores (i.e. scrub the floors by hand now and then or doing spring cleaning more often), etc. I can be a very lazy person if I let myself be, and that's not a good thing!
- Get more sleep/rest. I am horrible about getting to bed. I am very much a night owl. However, with my Fibromyalgia and for weight loss and optimum health, sleep is essential. I really do need 8 hours, which means I can't go to bed later than 11pm if I'm going to get up at 7am. I can and need to do this!
- Focus on being more positive, thankful and encouraging. We've already started on this as a family with our Thankfulness Basket, but I want to make it a point to just be more positive, thankful and encouraging in general. It really does help me stay healthy, mentally and physically.
- Do more as a family. I don't know about you, but I feel like time just slips through my fingers these days. I have made an effort to be more interactive with my kids and hubby, but some weeks seem like there is no time together. I would like to make it a point to spend some quality time together as a family at least once a week. I think we all could use more of that.
- Stay accountable! This is the toughest one. I am not looking forward to sharing my ups and downs with you each month, but I will do it because I need to. It is the only way I will stay on task because I know I will have to share my progress publicly. There is nothing more motivating than that!
- Purge and organize! There are so many things that we need to get rid of and so many ways I'd like to improve our organization. I know doing this will help me feel better, too. No more excuses! This is the year we work on this! Wish me luck!
- Finish old projects and try something new. I am horrible about trying new things and finishing up things. I have some novels/books in the works (have had for years) that I'd like to finish up and try to publish in some form. I'd also like to branch out in my recipes and try more "around the world" type dishes. I wouldn't mind getting back into some old crafting things, too. We shall see where this year leads!
There are some lofty goals listed above, but not too lofty. They are possible. With prayer, support, focus and determination, I think I will be able to accomplish them all at least in part. :)
Oh, and one last thing before I close this post. Each month I will be posting *gulps* pictures of me and my progress in the weight loss/fitness area. Here is the first one:
Best of luck to you all with your goals this year! Please link-up below and know that I'm on your side, cheering you on! We can do this! :) Feel free to email me at any time if you need a cheerleader, friend or help in any way. I will do what I can to help!
Now It's Your Turn!
Grab A Badge!